Paleokastritsa Monastery. Historical monastery on the top of Cape with wonderful sea views and religious museum.
The Paleokastritsa Monastery is located about 25 kilometers northwest of Corfu T own.
It is built on one end of the homonymous bay, which is a major attraction for tourists because of its great natural beauty. From the monastery the view is stunning.
The name Paleokastritsa was taken by the monastery because the upper area was also called Paleokastro, a place name that presupposes the existence of an old castle in the current location of the Church. Alone.
The Monastery of Paleokastritsa in Corfu: On a green hill above the beach of Paleokastritsa, on the northwestern side of Corfu, there is a large Monastery complex dedicated to Panagia (Virgin Mary) of Paleokastritsa. This monastery dominates the whole region. Built on top of a remote hill, it gives a gorgeous view of the island and the sea.
This Byzantine Monastery dates back to 1228, however the current complex, the cells of the monks and the yard date from the 18th century. The monastery has a small ecclesiastical museum with rare Byzantine icons, holy books, and other relics. Inside the monastery, there works a traditional olive oil press. The road to the monastery passes through a forest of olive trees and cypresses.
The temple turned into a monastery gradually. Time point ἀλλαγῆς the ἐκλογή of Ἱερομονάχου Gerasimos Φλοκάλη as ἱσόβιου ἱερουργοῦ in 1658. In 1686, the church was named as a monastery.
Due to its position and its formal character, according to the first of the 19th century. it was a place of clergy restriction, not only of Corfu and the rest of Greece, for church misconduct, a place of refuge and contemplation of many church personalities and a pole of attraction of foreign travelers, such as Edward Lear, Louis Golding and Arthur Foss.
The monastic complex is completed by many buildings, fully restored (katholikon ,ρρχονταρική, μοσειου, refectory, cellia, cooking, cellars etc.). The katholikon is a single-aisled Basilica, with no special features in the interior, but with great and highly valued furniture and utensils. The stone iconostasis and the two pilgrims stand out with the Church of the Virgin Mary and the Church of St. Nicholas, the church with paintings in 1922, two smaller pilgrims in the presence of the Presbytery, on the right and on the other side of its entrance. In the Church of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary, the Virgin Mary of Lambardou (16th-17th A.D.)
The walls are dominated by four large columns with wood carvings and gilded frames with the Holy all the Chrysoloras (18th century).), the coming crisis and two scenes from the genesis of the Foskali, in 1713. There are also those of the Three Hierarchs (second half of the 17th century).), and placed on the despotic throne with the Virgin Mary of the type of Skopje, painted on beef skin dated 1494 (probably fictitious). Many holy relics of Saints are also kept.